- In collaboration with the International Osteoarthritis Foundation(OAFI), Hifas da Terra, conducted the first clinical trial that proves that the use of mushroom extracts alleviates pain and stiffness in arthritis patients.
- The extracts treatment is also able to increase both the physical ability and the energy levels.
- Patients indicated a decrease in their pain level of 23.4% (on a visual analogue scale: VAS) and improvements in mobility and a reduction of stiffness and pain of 20% (WOMAC questionnaire).
A pilot study conducted in Barcelona by Hifas da Terra and OAFI analysed the effects of the use of mushroom extracts in cases of osteoarthritis, also known as arthritis.
This clinical research represents a milestone as it is the first trial conducted on the clinical application of mushrooms for patients with arthritis of the knee. This complementary treatment with mushrooms reduced pain and inflammation as well as improving patients’ mobility.
The results of this research were presented at the, III International Congress of Arthritis Patients, organised by The OAFI Foundation.
Why are we researching Arthritis treatments?
Arthritis is the most frequently occurring joint disease. Symptoms include pain, inflammation and mobility loss. Although it is not considered as a serious illness, it is a limiting and annoying one that decreases quality of life. According to the data collected in the Eurobarometer survey, arthritis affects up to 30% of the population over the age of 60.
Results of the use of Mico-Cord + Mico-Five
This observational study was carried out by the Rheumatology Poal Institute of Barcelona in patients diagnosed with arthritis of the knee. After three months of intake of the Mico-Cord and Mico-Five supplements, the study group showed generalised improvements that were collected in the report. The conclusions made after the protocol were that the supplements:
- Alleviate pain and stiffness
- Improve physical mobility and the energy levels
Visual Analogue Scale (VAS)
Pain is one of the most important indicators of the effectiveness of arthritis treatment. In order to evaluate the impact of the intake of mushroom extracts on arthritis, patients completed a VAS for their pain, which was used as a reference.
After three months of treatment, 75% of patients reported improvements in the pain VAS of 23.4%
WOMAC questionnaire to evaluate functional capacity
Limited mobility is another key aspect of arthritis. In this clinical trial, this parameter was determined through The Western Ontario and McMaster Universities Arthritis Index (WOMAC) questionnaire, which includes questions on areas such as pain, mobility and loss of functional abilities.
80% of patients indicated improvements of 15% in areas such as pain, stiffness and mobility, while 63% of participants indicated a 20% improvement.
The conclusions of this clinical trial on knee arthritis validate the use of mushrooms, from an integrative perspective, to address relevant aspects of pathology such as tiredness, bone discomfort and joint inflammation.
- Möller I., Fernández de Ana C., Sinde E., Simón I., Rodríguez-Blanco A., Vergés J. (2019) Effects of two mushroom extracts on symptom alleviation in osteoarthritis patients: observations in daily clinical practice. Instituto Poal de Reumatología Barcelona, Spain. OAFI Foundation (Osteoarthritis Foundation International) e Hifas da Terra.
- Möller, I. (2019) Observación del efecto de dos tratamientos basados en extracto de hongos en aspectos psiquicocofísicos de pacientes con artrosis de rodilla en la práctica clínica. OAFI