This article is based on Mayo Clinic’s content.
What is breast cancer?
Breast cancer is a type of cancer that forms in the cells of the breast.
After skin cancer, breast cancer is the most common type of cancer diagnosed in women. In the UK, over 55,000 of new cases of Breast cancer are registered every year. This disease can occur in both men and women, but it is much more frequent in women.
Survival rates of breast cancer have increased, and the number of deaths related to this disease are steadily decreasing, largely due to factors such as early detection, a new approach to personalised treatment and a better understanding of the disease.
Do you want to know more about breast cancer?
We recommend that you further your knowledge by clicking on these links:
What mushrooms have useful properties in breast cancer?
Recent scientific trials have shown the effective molecules present in mushrooms, specifically polysaccharides and proteo-polysaccharides, have a strong ability for stimulating both the innate and adaptive immune systems in humans.
Studies have also observed, the increased activity in the immune system when mushrooms are taken alongside conventional cancer medication. In fact is has even shown to reduce treatment time of chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Additionally, damaging side effects of these treatments have been reduces and quality of life during cancer treatment.
- Jin X, Ruiz Beguerie J, Sze DMY, Chan GCF. Ganoderma lucidum (Reishi mushroom) for cancer treatment. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD007731. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007731.
- Li J, Zou L, Chen W, Zhu B, Shen N, Ke J, et al. (2014) Dietary Mushroom Intake May Reduce the Risk of Breast Cancer: Evidence from a Meta-Analysis of Observational Studies. PLoS ONE 9(4): e93437. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0093437
- Maehara, Y., Tsujitani, S., Saeki, H. et al. Biological mechanism and clinical effect of protein-bound polysaccharide K (KRESTIN(®)): review of development and future perspectives. Surg Today (2012) 42: 8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00595-011-0075-7
- Zhao H, Zhang Q, Zhao L, Huang X, Wang J, Kang X. Spore Powder of Ganoderma lucidum Improves Cancer-Related Fatigue in Breast Cancer Patients Undergoing Endocrine Therapy: A Pilot Clinical Trial. Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine : eCAM. 2012;2012:809614. doi:10.1155/2012/809614.
- Zhang M1, Huang J, Xie X, Holman CD. Dietary intakes of mushrooms and green tea combine to reduce the risk of breast cancer in Chinese women. Int J Cancer. 2009 Mar 15;124(6):1404-8. doi: 10.1002/ijc.24047.
- KOJI OBA, MICHIYA KOBAYASHI, TAKANORI MATSUI, YASUHIRO KODERA and JUNICHI SAKAMOTO. Individual Patient Based Meta-analysis of Lentinan for Unresectable/Recurrent Gastric CanceR. ANTICANCER RESEARCH 29: 2739-2746 (2009)
- Ohwada S, Ikeya T, Yokomori T, Kusaba T, Roppongi T, Takahashi T, Nakamura S, Kakinuma S, Iwazaki S, Ishikawa H, Kawate S, Nakajima T, Morishita Y. Adjuvant immunochemotherapy with oral Tegafur/Uracil plus PSK in patients with stage II or III colorectal cancer: a randomised controlled study. Br J Cancer. 2004 Mar 8;90(5):1003-10.
- Liu Y, Fukuwatari Y, Okumura K, Takeda K, Ishibashi K, Furukawa M, Ohno N, Mori K, Gao M, Motoi M (2008). Immunomodulating activity of Agaricus brasiliensis KA21 in mice and in human volunteers. Evidence Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 5, 205-219.
- Ahn WS, Kim DJ, Chae GT, Lee JM, Bae SM, Sin JI, Kim YW, Namkoong SE, Lee IP (2004) Natural killer cell activity and quality of life were improved by consumption of a mushroom extract, Agaricus blazei Murill Kyowa, in gynecological cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. International Journal of Gynecological Cancer 14, 589-594.
- Akihisa T, Nakamura Y, Tagata M, Tokuda H, Yasukawa K, Uchiyama E, Suzuki T, Kimura Y (2007) Anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor-promoting effects of triterpene acids and sterols from the fungus Ganoderma lucidum. Chemistry & Biodiversity 4, 224-231.
- Aoyagi H, Iino Y, Takeo T, Horii Y, Morishita Y, Horiuchi R (1997). Effects of OK-432 (picibanil) on the estrogen receptors of MCF-7 cells and potentiation of antiproliferative effects of tamoxifen in combination with OK-432. Oncology 54:414-23.
- Boh B, Berovic M, Zhang J, Zhi-Bin L (2007) Ganoderma lucidum and its pharmaceutically active compounds. Biotechnology Annual Review 13, 265-301.
- Chan Y, Chang T, Chan CH, Yeh YC, Chen CW, Shieh B, Li C (2007) Immunomodulatory effects of Agaricus blazei Murill in Balb/cByJ mice. Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection 40, 201-208.
- Chen S, Oh SR, Phung S, Hur G, Ye JJ, Kwok SL, Shrode GE, Belury M, Adams LS, Williams D (2006) Anti-aromatase activity of phytochemicals in white button mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus). Cancer Research 66, 12026-12034.
- Elbatrawy EN, Ghonimy EA, Alassar MM, Wu FS (2015) Medicinal mushroom extracts possess differential antioxidant activity and cytotoxicity to cancer cells. International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms 17, 471-479.
- Eliza WLY, Fai CK, Chung LP (2012) Efficacy of Yun Zhi (Coriolus versicolor) on Survival in Cancer Patients: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Recent Patents on Inflammation & Allergy Drug Discovery 6, 78-87.
- Fundación Medina, Assessment CYP450 Inhibition by fungi dietary supplements, Fundación Medina, Centro de Excelencia en Investigación de Medicamentos Innovadores en Andalucía.
- Gao J, Min B, Ahn E, Nakamura N, Lee H, Hattori M (2002) New triterpene aldehydes, lucialdehydes A-C from Ganoderma lucidum & their cytotoxicity against murine & human tumor cells. Chemistry & Pharmacology Bulletin 50, 837-840.
- Hetland G, Johnson E, Lyberg T, Bernardshaw S, Tryggestad AMA, Grinde B (2008) Effects of the medicinal mushroom Agaricus blazei Murill on immunity, infection and cancer. Scandinavian Journal of Immunology 68, 363-370.
- Hetland G, Johnson E, Lyberg T, Kvalheim G (2011) The mushroom Agaricus blazei Murill elicits medicinal effects on tumor, infection, allergy, and inflammation through its modulation of innate immunity and amelioration of Th1/Th2 imbalance and inflammation. Advances in Pharmacological Sciences, Article ID 157015.
- Hirose A, Sato E, Fujii H, Sun B, Nishioka H, Aruoma OI (2007) The influence of active hexose correlated compound (AHCC) on cisplatin-evoked chemotherapeutic and side effects in tumor-bearing mice. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 222, 152-158.
- Hong SA, Kim K, Nam SJ, Kong G, Kim MK (2008) A case–control study on the dietary intake of mushrooms and breast cancer risk among Korean women. International Journal of Cancer 122, 919-923.
- Jiang J, Slivova V, Harvey K, Valachovicova T, Sliva D (2004). Ganoderma lucidum suppresses growth of breast cancer cells through the inhibition of Akt/NF-kappaB signaling. Nutr Cancer 49(2):209-16.
- Jiang J, Slivova V, Sliva D (2006) Ganoderma lucidum inhibits proliferation of human breast cancer cells by down-regulation of estrogen receptor and NF-kappaB signaling. Int J Oncol 29(3):695-703.
- Kao CHJ, Jesuthasan AC, Bishop KS, Glucina MP, Ferguson LR (2013) Anti-cancer activities of Ganoderma lucidum: active ingredients and pathways. Functional Foods in Health and Disease 3, 48-65.
- Kim TH, Kim JS, Kim ZH, Huang RB, Chae YL, Wang RS (2016) Induction of apoptosis in MCF 7 human breast cancer cells by Khz (fusion of Ganoderma lucidum and Polyporus umbellatus mycelium). Molecular Medicine Reports 13, 1243-1249.
- Kimura Y, Kido T, Takaku T, Sumiyoshi M, Baba K (2004) Isolation of an anti-angiogenic substance from Agaricus Blazei Murill: its antitumor and antimetastatic actions. Cancer Science 95, 758-764.
- Kimura Y, Taniguchi M, Baba K (2002) Antitumor and antimetastatic effects on liver of triterpenoid fractions of Ganoderma lucidum: mechanism of action and isolation of an active substance. Anticancer Research 22, 3309-3318.
- Klaus A, Kozarski M, Vunduk J, Todorovic N, Jakovljevic D, Zizak Z, Pavlovic V, Levic S, Niksic M, Van Griensven LJLD (2015) Biological potential of extracts of the wild edible Basidiomycete mushroom Grifola frondosa. Food Research International 67, 272-283.
- Kodama N, Komuta K, Nanba H (2002) Can Maitake MD-fraction aid cancer patients? Alternative Medicine Review 7, 236-239.
- Kozarski M, Klaus A, Jakovljevic D, Todorovic N, Vunduk J, Petrović P, Niksic M, Vrvic MM, van Griensven L (2015) Antioxidants of edible mushrooms. Molecules 20, 19489-19525.
- Kubota E, Kataoka H, Hayashi K, Kamiya T, Sasaki M, Ogasawara N, Yamada T, Wada T, Mori Y, Mizoshita T, Shimura T, Mizushima T, Okamoto Y, Ohara H, Joh T (2009) Advanced stomach and pancreas cancer successfully treated with combination chemotherapy with S-1/paclitaxel/lentinan. Hepato-Gastroenterology 56, 106-110.
- Masuda Y, Inoue H, Ohta H, Miyake A, Konishi M, Nanba H (2013) Oral administration of soluble β-glucans extracted from Grifola frondosa induces systemic antitumor immune response and decreases immunosuppression in tumor-bearing mice. International Journal of Cancer 133, 108-119.
- Masuda Y, Murata Y, Hayashi M, Nanba H (2008) Inhibitory effect of MD-Fraction on tumor metastasis: involvement of NK cell activation and suppression of intercellular adhesion molecule (ICAM)-1 expression in lung vascular endothelial cells. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin 31, 1104-1108.
- Mayell M (2001) Maitake extracts and their therapeutic potential – A review. Alternative Medicine Review 6, 48-60.
- Mizuno M, Morimoto M, Minato K, Tsuchida H (1998) Polysaccharides from Agaricus blazei stimulate lymphocyte T-cell subsets in mice. Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry 62, 434-437.
- Müller CI, Kumagai T, O’Kelly J, Seeram NP, Heber D, Koefflera HP (2006) Ganoderma lucidum causes apoptosis in leukemia, lymphoma and multiple myeloma cells. Leukemia Research 30, 841-848.
- Nanba H (1997) Maitake D-fraction: healing and preventive potential for cancer. Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine 12, 43-49.
- Nguyen VT, Tung NT, Cuong TD, Hung TM, Kim JA, Woo MH, Choi JS , Lee JH , Min BS (2015) Cytotoxic and anti-angiogenic effects of lanostane triterpenoids from Ganoderma lucidum. Phytochemistry Letters 12, 69-74.
- Notoya Menoli RCR, Mantovani MS, Ribeiro LR, Speit G, Jordão BQ (2001) Antimutagenic effects of the mushroom Agaricus blazei Murrill extracts on V79 cells. Mutation Research 496, 5-13.
- Ohno S, Sumiyoshi Y, Hashine K, Shirato A, Kyo S, Inoue M (2013) Quality of life improvements among cancer patients in remission following the consumption of Agaricus blazei Murill mushroom extract. Complementary Therapies in Medicine 21, 460-467.
- Okuno K, Uno K (2011) Efficacy of orally administered Lentinula edodes mycelia extract for advanced gastrointestinal cancer patients undergoing cancer chemotherapy: a pilot study. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 12, 1671-1674.
- Patel S, Goyal A (2012) Recent developments in mushrooms as anti-cancer therapeutics: a review. Biotechnology 2, 1-15.
- Raj PV, Dhanaraj SA, Ali SA, Kuan TH, Mathiyalagan S, Raman S (2015) Anti-proliferative effect of Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharide and triterpenoid fractions against cancer cells. Manipal Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 1, 32.
- Rajasekar S, Selvakumar P, Periasamy K, Raaman N (2008) Polysaccharides from Basidiomycetes: A promising source for immunostimulating and anticancerous activity, en Biotechnology: Concepts and Applications Capítulo XII. Narosa Publishing House, p 232-269.
- Ruiz-Cabello J, Berghmans K, Kaplan O, Lippman ME, Clarke R, Cohen JS (1995) Hormone dependence of breast cancer cells and the effects of tamoxifen and estrogen: 31P NMR studies. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 33, 209-217.
- Souza-Paccola EA, Bomfeti CA, Fávaro LCL, Fonseca ICB, Paccola-Meirelles LD (2004) Antimutagenic action of Lentinula edodes and Agaricus blazei on Aspergillus nidulans conidia. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology 35, 311-315.
- Svagelj M, Berovic M, Gregori A, Wraber B, Simcic S, Boh B (2012) Immunomodulating activities of cultivated Maitake medicinal mushroom Grifola frondosa (Dicks.: Fr.) S.F. Gray (Higher Basidiomycetes) on peripheral blood mononuclear cell. International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms 14, 377-383.
- Ulbricht C, Weissner W, Basch E, Giese N, Hammerness P, Rusie-Seamon E, Varghese M, Woods J (2009) Maitake mushroom (Grifola frondosa): Systematic review by the natural standard research collaboration. Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology 7, 66-72.
- Wu B, Cui J, Zhang C, Li Z (2012). A polysaccharide from Agaricus blazei inhibits proliferation and promotes apoptosis of osteosarcoma cells. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 50, 1116-1120.
- Wu GS, Lu JJ, Guo JJ, Li YB, Tan W, Dang YY, Zhong ZF, Xu ZT, Chen XP, Wang YT (2012) Ganoderic acid DM, a natural triterpenoid, induces DNA damage, G1 cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human breast cancer cells. Fitoterapia 83, 408-414.
- Wu JY, Zhang QX, Leung PH (2007) Inhibitory effects of ethyl acetate extract of Cordyceps sinensis mycelium on various cancer cells in culture and B16 melanoma in C57BL/6 mice. Phytomedicine 14, 43-49.
- Wu TS, Shi LS, Kuo SC (2001) Cytotoxicity of Ganoderma lucidum triterpenes. Journal of Natural Products 64, 1121-1122.