What is gastritis?
Gastritis is a general term used to refer to a group of diseases that have one thing in common, inflammation and erosion in the lining of the stomach. The inflammation can caused by the same bacterial infection that causes stomach ulcers, and can also be caused by frequent use of certain painkillers, and over consumption of alcohol.
Gastritis can occur suddenly (acute gastritis) or occur slowly over time (chronic gastritis). In some cases, gastritis can cause ulcers and an increased risk of stomach cancer. However, for most people, gastritis is not serious and improves quickly with treatment.
With this health issue, it’s important to focus on bringing the inflammation down whilst repairing the gut lining.
What mushrooms can help you in gastritis?
Anti-inflammatory and prebiotic properties
Several studies have shown the gastroprotective effect of lion’s mane on the digestive tract. This is mainly due to its anti-inflammatory and prebiotic effects. The mushroom helps to repair damaged gastric and intestinal mucosa, showing great benefits in esophagogastric pathologies, such as gastritis and ulcer.
A significant number of people can develop gastritis due to contracting the Helicobacter pylori bacteria. In that case, it is important to remove this bacteria from the gut. Reishi extracts have shown to inhibit the growth of H. pylori. The bioactive compounds present in Reishi have many properties, including those related to the supporting gastric ulcers and reducing inflammation.
- Friedman M. Chemistry, Nutrition, and Health-Promoting Properties of Hericium erinaceus (Lion’s Mane) Mushroom Fruiting Bodies and Mycelia and Their Bioactive Compounds. J Agric Food Chem. 2015 Aug 19;63(32):7108-23. doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.5b02914.
- Zhu Y, Chen Y, Li Q, Zhao T, Zhang M, Feng W, Takase M, Wu X, Zhou Z, Yang L, Wu X. Preparation, characterization, and anti-Helicobacter pylori activity of Bi3+-Hericium erinaceus polysaccharide complex. Carbohydr Polym. 2014 Sep 22;110:231-7. doi: 10.1016/j.carbpol.2014.03.081.
- Jiang S, Wang S, Sun Y, Zhang Q. Medicinal properties of Hericium erinaceus and its potential to formulate novel mushroom-based pharmaceuticals. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2014 Sep;98(18):7661-70. doi: 10.1007/s00253-014-5955-5. Epub 2014 Jul 29.
- Khan MA, Tania M, Liu R, Rahman MM. Hericium erinaceus: an edible mushroom with medicinal values. J Complement Integr Med. 2013 May 24;10. pii: /j/jcim.2013.10.issue-1/jcim-2013-0001/jcim-2013-0001.xml. doi: 10.1515/jcim-2013-0001.
- Shang X, Tan Q, Liu R, Yu K, Li P, Zhao GP. In vitro anti-Helicobacter pylori effects of medicinal mushroom extracts, with special emphasis on the Lion’s Mane mushroom, Hericium erinaceus (higher Basidiomycetes). Int J Med Mushrooms. 2013;15(2):165-74.
- Nagano M, Shimizu K, Kondo R, Hayashi C, Sato D, Kitagawa K, Ohnuki K. Reduction of depression and anxiety by 4 weeks Hericium erinaceus intake. Biomed Res. 2010 Aug;31(4):231-7.
- Fedorov AA, Gromov AS, Sapronenok SV, Kurochkin VIu, Zhernakova ZM. [Ozone therapy in gastroduodenal pathology associated with Helicobacter pylori]. Vopr Kurortol Fizioter Lech Fiz Kult. 2006 Nov-Dec;(6):34-7.
- Abdulla MA, Noor S, Wong K-H, Ali HM (2008) Effect of culinary-medicinal Lion’s Mane mushroom, Hericium erinaceus (Bull.: Fr.) Pers. (Aphyllophoromycetideae), on ethanol-induced gastric ulcers in rats. International Journal of Medicinal Mushrooms 10, 325-330.
- Akihisa T, Nakamura Y, Tagata M, Tokuda H, Yasukawa K, Uchiyama E, Suzuki T, Kimura Y (2007) Anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor-promoting effects of triterpene acids and sterols from the fungus Ganoderma lucidum. Chemistry & Biodiversity 4, 224-231.
- Dudhgaonkar S, Thyagarajan A, Sliva D (2009) Suppression of the inflammatory response by triterpenes isolated from the mushroom Ganoderma lucidum. International Immunopharmacology 9, 1272-1280.
- Lin JM, Lin CC, Chiu HF, Yang JJ, Lee SG (1993) Evaluation of the anti-inflammatory and liver-protective effects of Anoectochilus formosanus, Ganoderma lucidum and Gynostemma pentaphyllum in rats. American Journal of Chinese Medicine 21, 59-69.
- Patocka J (1999) Anti-inflammatory triterpenoids from mysterious mushroom Ganoderma lucidum and their potential possibility in modern medicine. Acta Medica (Hradec Kralove) 42, 123-125.
- Stavinoha W, Satsangi N, Weintraub S (1995) Study of the antiinflammatory efficacy of Ganoderma lucidum. En: Kim B-K, Kim YS (Eds.). Recent Advances in Ganoderm lucidum Research. The Pharmaceutical Society of Korea, Seul, 3-7.
- Wong JY, Abdulla MA, Raman J, Phan CW, Kuppusamy UR, Golbabapour S, Sabaratnam V (2013). Gastroprotective effects of Lion’s Mane mushroom Hericium erinaceus (bull.:fr.) Pers. (aphyllophoromycetideae) extract against ethanol-induced ulcer in rats. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2013, ID 492976.
- Xu CP, Liu WW, Liu FX, Chen SS, Liao FQ, Xu Z, Jiang LG, Wang CA, Lu XH (1985). A double-blind study of effectiveness of Hericium erinaceus Pers. therapy on chronic atrophic gastritis. A preliminary report. Chinese Medical Journal 98, 455-456.