What is otitis?
In general, acute otitis media is usually a bacterial or viral infection that affects the middle ear, the air-filled space behind the eardrum that contains the three small vibratory bones of the ear. Children are more likely to develop otitis than adults.
Otitis is usually painful due to inflammation and fluid accumulation in the middle ear.
Because otitis usually clears itself, treatment may begin with pain control and problem monitoring. Otitis in infants and severe cases generally require antibiotic medications. Long-term problems related to ear infections (persistent fluid in the middle ear, persistent infections or frequent infections) can cause hearing problems and other serious complications.
Which mushrooms have useful properties for otitis?
Potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
The compounds present in Reishi extracts make it a great anti-inflammatory and one of the most powerful natural antioxidants that exist.
Bactericidal and antifungal properties
Clinical studies have shown Shiitake to have strong antibacterial and antifungal activity useful in warding off infections.
- J Patocka – Acta Medica (Hradec Kralove). Anti-inflammatory triterpenoids from mysterious mushroom Ganoderma lucidum and their potential possibility in modern medicine. 1999 – europepmc.org.
- ZB Lin. Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms of Immuno-modulation by Ganoderma lucidum. Journal of pharmacological sciences, 2005 – jstage.jst.go.jp.
- Dudhgaonkar S, Thyagarajan A, Sliva D (2009) Suppression of the inflammatory response by triterpenes isolated from the mushroom Ganoderma lucidum. International Immunopharmacology 9, 1272-1280.
- Kwak AM, Lee IK, Lee SY, Yun BS, Kang HW. Oxalic Acid from Lentinula edodes Culture Filtrate: Antimicrobial Activity on Phytopathogenic Bacteria and Qualitative and Quantitative Analyses. Mycobiology. 2016 Dec;44(4):338-342. doi: 10.5941/MYCO.2016.44.4.338.
- Kim SP, Park SO, Lee SJ, Nam SH, Friedman M. A Polysaccharide isolated from the liquid culture of Lentinus edodes (Shiitake) mushroom mycelia containing black rice bran protects mice against salmonellosis through upregulation of the Th1 immune reaction. J Agric Food Chem. 2014 Mar 19;62(11):2384-91. doi: 10.1021/jf405223q.
- Signoretto C, Marchi A, Bertoncelli A, Burlacchini G, Papetti A, Pruzzo C, Zaura E, Lingström P, Ofek I, Pratten J, Spratt DA, Wilson M, Canepari P. The anti-adhesive mode of action of a purified mushroom (Lentinus edodes) extract with anticaries and antigingivitis properties in two oral bacterial phatogens. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014 Feb 24;14:75. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-14-75.
- Rao JR, Smyth TJ, Millar BC, Moore JE. Antimicrobial properties of shiitake mushrooms (Lentinula edodes). Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2009 Jun;33(6):591-2. doi: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2008.10.018. Epub 2008 Dec 31. Erratum in: Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2009 Jun;33(6):597. Smyth, T J [added].
- Hearst R, Nelson D, McCollum G, Millar BC, Maeda Y, Goldsmith CE, Rooney PJ, Loughrey A, Rao JR, Moore JE. An examination of antibacterial and antifungal properties of constituents of Shiitake (Lentinula edodes) and oyster (Pleurotus ostreatus) mushrooms. Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2009 Feb;15(1):5-7. doi: 10.1016/j.ctcp.2008.10.002. Epub 2008 Dec 2. PubMed PMID: 19161947.