This article is based on Mayo Clinic’s content.
What is non-allergic rhinitis?
Non-allergic rhinitis includes chronic sneezing and nasal congestion with no apparent cause. The symptoms of nonallergic rhinitis are similar to those of allergic rhinitis (hay fever) without the usual signs of an allergic reaction.
Non-allergic rhinitis can affect children and adults, although it is more common after the age of 20. The triggers of non-allergic rhinitis symptoms vary and may include certain air odors and irritants, changes in weather, certain medications, foods or chronic conditions.
The diagnosis of nonallergic rhinitis is confirmed after an allergic cause is ruled out. This may require blood tests or skin tests for allergies.
Do you want to know more about non-allergic rhinitis?
We recommend that you continue reading the Disease and Conditions page of the Mayo Clinic for the public.
What mushrooms have useful properties in rhinitis?
It has anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory properties
Reishi and its preparations are a powerful anti-inflammatory and immunomodulator that, as a dietary supplement, can contribute to improve the symptoms of rhinitis and combate allergic reactions.
- Liu C, Dunkin D, Lai J, Song Y, Ceballos C, Benkov K, Li XM. Anti-inflammatory Effects of Ganoderma lucidum Triterpenoid in Human Crohn’s Disease Associated with Downregulation of NF-κB Signaling. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2015 Aug;21(8):1918-25. doi: 10.1097/MIB.0000000000000439.
- Hasnat MA, Pervin M, Cha KM, Kim SK, Lim BO. Anti-inflammatory activity on mice of extract of Ganoderma lucidum grown on rice via modulation of MAPK and NF-κB pathways. Phytochemistry. 2015 Jun;114:125-36. doi: 10.1016/j.phytochem.2014.10.019. Epub 2014 Nov 12.
- Liu YJ, Du JL, Cao LP, Jia R, Shen YJ, Zhao CY, Xu P, Yin GJ. Anti-inflammatory and hepatoprotective effects of Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides on carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatocyte damage in common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.). Int Immunopharmacol. 2015 Mar;25(1):112-20. doi: 10.1016/j.intimp.2015.01.023.
- Choi S, Nguyen VT, Tae N, Lee S, Ryoo S, Min BS, Lee JH. Anti-inflammatory and heme oxygenase-1 inducing activities of lanostane triterpenes isolated from mushroom Ganoderma lucidum in RAW264.7 cells. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2014 Nov 1;280(3):434-42. doi: 10.1016/j.taap.2014.09.007.
- Wang J, Zhang Y, Yuan Y, Yue T. Immunomodulatory of selenium nano-particles decorated by sulfated Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides. Food Chem Toxicol. 2014 Jun;68:183-9. doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2014.03.003.
- Bhardwaj N, Katyal P, Sharma AK. Suppression of inflammatory and allergic responses by pharmacologically potent fungus Ganoderma lucidum. Recent Pat Inflamm Allergy Drug Discov. 2014;8(2):104-17.
- Tung NT, Cuong TD, Hung TM, Lee JH, Woo MH, Choi JS, Kim J, Ryu SH, Min BS. Inhibitory effect on NO production of triterpenes from the fruiting bodies of Ganoderma lucidum. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2013 Mar 1;23(5):1428-32. doi: 10.1016/j.bmcl.2012.12.066. Epub 2013 Jan 3.
- Joseph S, Sabulal B, George V, Antony KR, Janardhanan KK. Antitumor and anti-inflammatory activities of polysaccharides isolated from Ganoderma lucidum. Acta Pharm. 2011 Sep 1;61(3):335-42. doi: 10.2478/v10007-011-0030-6.
- Xu JW, Zhao W, Zhong JJ. Biotechnological production and application of ganoderic acids. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol. 2010 Jun;87(2):457-66. doi: 10.1007/s00253-010-2576-5. Epub 2010 May 2.