What is sinusitis?
Acute sinusitis (acute rhinosinusitis) causes inflammation of the cavities that surround the nasal passages (sinuses). This hinders drainage and causes accumulation of mucous.
In acute sinusitis, you may feel short of breath through your nose, your face can swell as well as the area around your eyes. You may also experience a throbbing facial and head pain.
Acute sinusitis is mostly due to the common cold. Unless a bacterial infection develops, the resolution of most cases takes between 7-10 days.
Sinusitis that lasts more than 12 weeks despite medical treatment is called “chronic sinusitis”.
- Joseph S, Sabulal B, George V, Antony KR, Janardhanan KK. Antitumor and anti-inflammatory activities of polysaccharides isolated from Ganoderma lucidum. Acta Pharm. 2011 Sep 1;61(3):335-42. doi: 10.2478/v10007-011-0030-6. PubMed PMID: 21945912.
- ZB Lin. Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms of Immuno-modulation by Ganoderma lucidum. Journal of pharmacological sciences, 2005 – jstage.jst.go.jp
- Chu KKW, Ho SS, Chow AH. Coriolus versicolor: a medicinal mushroom with promising immunotherapeutic values. Chu et al. J Clin Pharmacol .2002; 42: 976-984
- Signoretto C, Marchi A, Bertoncelli A, Burlacchini G, Milli A, Tessarolo F, Caola I, Papetti A, Pruzzo C, Zaura E, Lingström P, Ofek I, Spratt DA, Pratten J, Wilson M, Canepari P. Effects of mushroom and chicory extracts on the shape, physiology and proteome of the cariogenic bacterium Streptococcus mutans. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2013 May 29;13:117. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-13-117. PubMed PMID: 23714053.
- Lee HH, Lee JS, Cho JY, Kim YE, Hong EK. Study on immunostimulating activity of macrophage treated with purified polysaccharides from liquid culture and fruiting body of Lentinus edodes. J Microbiol Biotechnol. 2009 Jun;19(6):566-72.
- Guo FC, Kwakkel RP, Williams BA, Li WK, Li HS, Luo JY, Li XP, Wei YX, Yan ZT, Verstegen MW. Effects of mushroom and herb polysaccharides, as alternatives for an antibiotic, on growth performance of broilers. Br Poult Sci. 2004 Oct;45(5):684-94.