WHAT IS MYCOTHERAPY?

Mycotherapy can be defined as the application of medicinal mushrooms high in active biomolecules for the benefit of people’s health, wellbeing and quality of life.

Using both single species preparations and specifically chosen synergistic blends of mushrooms, Mycotherapy helps to naturally complement integrative treatments and healthy routines.

Why Mycotherapy: properties of medicinal mushrooms

Hifas da Terra’s R & D team have contributed to documenting the scientific basis that explains the impact of medicinal mushrooms on health. Thanks to the study of their active biomolecules we know that they:

Have a proven immunomodulatory effect

Medicinal mushrooms can help to boost the immune system preventatively, during an infection, or can balance it in cases of overstimulation (allergic and/or autoimmune reactions) (El Enshasy HA et al., 2013).

Regulate the intestinal microbiota due to their prebiotic polysaccharides

Numerous studies have shown that medicinal mushrooms can modulate the gut microenvironment (Dai, R. et al., 2021).

Are adaptogens

They help to balance physiological functions. They promote homeostasis by having a regulatory effect on numerous body systems.

Origins of Mycotherapy

Bencao gangmu

Medicinal mushrooms have been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) over the past two millennia to help achieve improved wellbeing and longevity (Aung, Steven Kh. et al., 2005). Early medical texts recorded the uses and actions of one of the most famous mushrooms: Reishi or Ling Zhi (Ganoderma lucidum), also known as “the mushroom of eternal youth”.

Now and Moving Forward

Currently, there is active research being carried out on the use of medicinal mushrooms in various therapeutic areas. Newly published evidence confirms the benefits of Mycotherapy as described in traditional medicine.

In the future, Mycotherapy could be a more widely used tool for prevention and even natural treatment or developed into innovative drugs, which would be a step towards a more integrative, patient-centred medicine.

Catalina Founder of Hifas da Terra

“Hifas da Terra leads knowledge in Mycotherapy with new research and clinical trials and uses sustainable technologies (green technologies) in its extraction processes. From medicinal mushrooms, we develop high quality, safe and effective natural products.”

Catalina Fdez. de Ana Portela / CEO

Presente y futuro

En la actualidad, existe una investigación activa sobre el empleo de los hongos medicinales en diversas áreas terapéuticas. Las nuevas evidencias publicadas confirman los beneficios de la Micoterapia descritos en la medicina tradicional.

De cara al futuro, la Micoterapia podría constituir una herramienta para la prevención y el tratamiento con fármacos naturales e innovadores, lo que supondría dar un paso más hacia una medicina más integrativa centrada en el paciente.

“Hifas da Terra lidera el conocimiento en Micoterapia con nuevas investigaciones y ensayos clínicos y utiliza tecnologías sostenibles (green technologies) en sus procesos de extracción. A partir de hongos medicinales desarrollamos productos naturales de alta calidad, seguros y eficaces (nutracéuticos, productos sanitarios y fármacos)”

Catalina Fdez. de Ana Portela / Founder

MEDICINAL MUSHROOMS

Reishi

Ganoderma lucidum

Learn more

Lion’s Mane

Hericium erinaceus

Learn more

Cordyceps

Cordyceps sinensis

Learn more

Maitake

Grifola frondosa

Learn more

Shiitake

Lentinula edodes

Learn more

Sun Mushroom

Agaricus blazei Murill

Learn more

Polyporus

Polyporus umbellatus

Learn more

Oyster mushroom

Pleurotus ostreatus

Learn more

King Oyster Mushroom

Pleurotus eryngii

Learn more

Turkey Tail

Coriolus versicolor

Learn more

Chaga

Inonotus obliquus

Learn more

ACTIVE BIOMOLECULES

A single fungus can have more than 400 active biomolecules

Capsule

Hifas da Terra standardises the amount of active biomolecules in all our medicinal mushroom products. This process guarantees high stable concentrations of the important compounds in each product and guarantees the quality and potency of each formulation.

Medicinal mushrooms are remarkable for their high nutrient density and plethora of other active compounds. Among the most important are active biomolecules such as Beta-glucans, (especially Beta-D-glucans) and terpenes. Prebiotic fibres, omega fatty acids, essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals complete the list of the most well known functional ingredients.

Learn more

GALENIC FORMS AND HIFAS DA TERRA PRODUCT LINES

Extract or powder? Liquid or encapsulated?

Power range

Hifas da Terra mushroom nutraceuticals include mushroom extracts in dry encapsulated or liquid form and mushroom powders in dry form. These formats are presented with one main objective: to guarantee the right concentration and, therefore, optimal therapeutic action, of each product produced. Combined products are formulated based on the synergistic effects of different mushrooms, thus enhancing their health benefits.

Hifas da Terra products

Medicinal mushroom powder

USED HABITUALLY: FOR PREVENTION AND AS PREBIOTICS

Hifas da Terra’s micronised mushroom powders (finely ground for optimum absorption) can be considered superfoods as they provide all the nutrients and biomolecules of interest, present in whole mushrooms, as well as prebiotic fibres, in a more concentrated form. Micronised mushroom powders can be found in capsule form or as a loose powder for easy use in shakes or smoothies, for example.

Medicinal mushroom extracts

WHEN ARE THEY USUALLY USED? AS A NATURAL COMPLEMENTARY TREATMENT

An extract provides a higher concentration, and therefore a higher potency, of the mushroom’s active biomolecules:

  • Extracts in capsules: allow for a standardised dosage that is easily adapted to the effective dose to meet the patient’s needs.
  • Liquid extract format: this allows for a higher concentration of active compounds to be delivered in a single dose. All HdT liquid extracts are synergistic medicinal mushroom blends formulated not only for enhanced effectiveness, but also for easier consumption and allows for doses to be adapted to the patient’s weight as appropriate.

Hifas da Terra offers highly concentrated medicinal mushroom extracts with the Hifas Quality System (HQS) guarantee: organic, pure and standardised in active compounds, both in capsules and in liquid form, as well as products made from concentrated organic powder in capsules and as loose powders

Study reveals that 75% of Reishi supplements tested contain only traces or no beta-glucans at all

Source: Nature & Nutraingredients magazine

A 2017 study conducted in the USA and published in the scientific journal Nature revealed that only 25% of medicinal mushroom products tested, i.e. 1 in 4, contained the amount of Reishi compounds that their labelling indicated. The other 75% were found to have only traces of Reishi beta-glucans or no mushroom at all.

Study reveals that 75% of Reishi supplements tested contain only traces or no beta-glucans at all

Source: Nature & Nutraingredients magazine

A 2017 study conducted in the USA and published in the scientific journal Nature revealed that only 25% of medicinal mushroom products tested, i.e. 1 in 4, contained the amount of Reishi compounds that their labelling indicated. The other 75% were found to have only traces of Reishi beta-glucans or no mushroom at all.

How to choose a quality brand

At Hifas da Terra, excellence in quality is pursued throughout the entire production process, from the strain selection to the final details of the end product, including the cultivation and extraction process. Hifas da Terra products are produced under strict quality standards, including pharmaceutical GMP certification, are standardised for active compounds and undergo numerous quality checks to confirm there are no toxins or heavy metals in final products, guaranteeing the consistency, purity and potency of each product batch.

Healthcare professionals play an important role in helping their clients select a medicinal mushroom supplement that is of good quality and effective (Lucius, Khara et al., 2020). The choice of brand and product, and the client’s adherence to that particular recommendation has a clear impact on the final results because, as evidenced in the aforementioned study, not all supplements are manufactured with the same rigour.

Therefore, it is recommended that any producer marketing mushroom supplements validates its raw materials, certifies whether the supplements it offers are organic and whether they have test results for contaminants such as heavy metals or pesticides as well as the potency of the product (Lucius, Khara et al., 2020).

Learn more

Areas of concern: what are you worried about?