We are moving forward with Integrative Oncology
At Hifas da Terra we are committed to a novel way of understanding health in which the patient is our main focus. We accomplish this by applying our knowledge to the specific needs of each patient. Our mission is based on the development of nutraceuticals, nutritional supplements concomitant with conventional oncologic therapies (chemotherapy and radiotherapy) that do not present drug interaction. By adjusting the concentrations and the recommended daily dose we are trying to get the maximum benefits for the body.
What is Mico-Onco Care?
The most concentrated mushroom extracts & natural vitamin formula to improve the patient’s quality of life, nutritional status and immune response as well as to reduce any potential side effects.
Mico-Onco Care is made up of high concentrations of pure nutraceutical extracts and standardized organic mushroom powder, combining the beneficial properties of some of our most researched species due to their medicinal qualities: Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum), Royal Sun Mushroom (Agaricus blazei), Maitake (Grifola frondosa), Lion’s Mane (Hericium erinaceus), Shiitake (Lentinula edodes), Cordyceps sinensis, Polyporus umbellatus, P. ostreatus and P. eryngii.
How can Mico-Onco Care help me?
Mico-Onco Care nutraceuticals are a combination of exclusive formulas designed to meet each patient’s specific needs. They contain a variety of bioactive ingredients which come from mushrooms that are beneficial for health: β-glucans, α-glucans, triterpenes, oligosaccharides, proteins, antioxidants, essential amino acids, trace elements, vitamins, minerals, etc. They contribute by improving the quality of life and the nutritional status of patients.
What do we mean by quality of life?
The quality of life is a multi-dimensional concept that includes domains related to the physical, mental, emotional and social functioning, as well as concerns about the future, personal body appearance, etc. that can be improved with a correct diet and an adequate nutritional status.
HdT introduces the new line of nutraceuticals, specially designed as an adjuvant procedure to conventional oncology treatments.
Why is it important to improve one’s nutritional status?
Malnutrition is a complex phenomenon that can have many causes such as: anorexia, side effects from some medications, diseases, immobilization, infections, digestive disorders such as nausea, vomiting, constipation, swallowing problems, etc. – with important consequences for health.
Proper nutrition will help
Improves tolerance to treatments and/or decreases the complications that may arise from them.
Improves the response of one’s defense system (by boosting the immune system) against diseases and also reduces associated risks.
Increases physical activity, mobility, etc., by reducing the periods of convalescence.
Promotes a positive emotional state by reducing depression, fatigue, anxiety, etc.
Maintains a proper balance of the body (homeostasis); corrects functioning of the body’s organs and systems.
The present and future role of Mycotherapy in Oncology
- Malnutrition of the cancer patient is a complex phenomenon, with multifactorial etiology and clinical consequences presenting an inseparable connection to the severity of the disease.
- By improving the nutritional status of the patient, it becomes possible to improve tolerance to specific treatments, to diminish complications, to indirectly increase tumor control and to improve quality of life for the patients.
- By improving the nutritional status of the patient, we improve their immune response to the risk of opportunistic infections and side effects.
- There is evidence justifying the use of extracts of mushrooms as an adjunct in chemotherapy treatments for reducing pain, cachexia and side effects (loss of hair and appetite, vomiting, etc.).
A Phase 1 study is underway to evaluate the side effects and best dose of beta-glucan when given together with 3F8 in the treatment of patients with metastatic neuroblastoma.
- There are numerous clinical trials that have shown improvement in the immune system in cancer patients based on the ability of fungi extracts to activate different types of cells of the immune system.
- Prestigious institutions for cancer treatment around the world, such as the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, have incorporated Mycotherapy into their service portfolio.
- Our medical Department has abundant information as well as specific clinical cases, giving us the scientific basis, which allows us to design specific formulations for patients according to their pathology and nutritional status.
- Ahn WS, Kim DJ, Chae GT, Lee JM, Bae SM, Sin JI, Kim YW, Namkoong SE, Lee IP (2004). Natural killer cell activity and quality of life were improved by consumption of a mushroom extract, Agaricus blazei Murill Kyowa, in gynecological cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Int J Gynecol Cancer14:589-94.
- Kodama N, Komuta K, Nanba H (2002). Can maitake MD-fraction aid cancer patients? Altern Med Rev 7:236-9. https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00492167
- Sun LX, Li WD, Lin ZB, Duan XS, Li XF, Yang N, Lan TF, Li M, Sun Y, Yu M, Lu J (2014). Protection against lung cancer patient plasma-induced lymphocyte suppression by Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides. Cell Physiol Biochem 33:289-99.
- Tsang KW, Lam CL, Yan C, Mak JC, Ooi GC, Ho JC, Lam B, Man R, Sham JS, Lam WK (2003). Coriolus versicolor polysaccharide peptide slows progression of advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Respir Med 97(6):618-24. http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/reishi-mushroom
- Chen X, Hu ZP, Yang XX, Huang M, Gao Y, Tang W, Chan SY, Dai X, Ye J, Ho PC, Duan W, Yang HY, Zhu YZ, Zhou SF (2006). Monitoring of immune responses to a herbal immuno-modulator in patients with advanced colorectal cancer. Int Immunopharmacol 6(3):499-508.